The Halloween event is still a week away, but it’s not too early to think about what you’re going to make for Thanksgiving dinner. If you are planning to ship in grocery items so you can make your famous pecan pie, green beans, sweet potatoes, whatever it is that you and your family look forward to every year — please keep a few rules in mind:
- Pop top cans are prohibited–anything with a pull tab to open. They can not be shipped via DPO or Pouch. The lids pop open in shipment due to pressurization changes.
- Pressurized items — like Pam Cooking Spray, cheez whiz, — can not be shipped via air. (prohibited for both Pouch and DPO)
- Cooking oils, or any liquids— liquids can be shipped via DPO (zip 09808). But they must be packaged to prevent and contain spillage. Liquids are prohbitied in pouch. And remember, anything that assumes the shape of the container it is in is considered a liquid.
- Knives and anything resembling a weapon can not be shipped via Pouch. Cooking knives (but not weapons!) can be shipped via DPO- Zip 09808.
- Flammables — if you are ordering candles, do not order matches or lighters to go with them. (You might want to wait a few more months before ordering candles unless you don’t mind them a little wonky from the heat). No buffet fuel canisters.
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns. Richardsonkc @ State.gov
Good luck and happy Thanskgiving preparations!